2008/07/29

What's in a name?

Why I decided to call this blog "Kudos!"?

Well, in Finnish it means something like "Go ahead, girl, do your knitting!" (freely translated), also "a piece of knitting", "texture", "fabric" and "weave". For those more medically oriented, it also means "tissue". And of course then in English, it stands for "fame" and "glory".
So, in addition for being a multi-purpose word describing Our Favourite Things, it's also very modest and plain.

And now, here's my new friend - meet Miss Orchid, also known as Polly (but only to the most nearest and dearest). She came to our house last week, and has gotten used to her new surroundings - well, at least she's still alive.. It's such a pleasure just to watch her, such beautiful lines and curves and delicate features.



It's difficult to keep hands off her, I must admit. You can only water her once a week, otherwise just keep out of direct sunlight and spray some water on the leaves every once in while. I'd like to do something more, but I understand that she needs her privacy, and must protect her delicate complexion from the sun. Here's a close-up, feast your eyes.



Just as I mentioned yesterday the new issues of VK and IK, today mr postman brought Vogue Knitting Fall '08. Lots of autumnal colors, naturally, and thick woolly thingies - although I don't know how much those are of use, due to the effects of global warming.. Anyway, here are my favourites so far (after glancing through the magazine during lunch break).


Both of these mittens tickle my fancy, they look very smug and snug. ("Yellow Harvest" by Mari Muinonen, and "Green Autumn" by Jared 'the brooklyn tweed' Flood - I guess you can figure out which one is which..). I have some wool in my stash (oo, what a surprise..) so these might get on the needles quite soon.



..and another pair of mittens (by Tanis Gray) - these could look great with some darker, earthy tones, and maybe some alpaca yarn... to be contd.




I like the out-of-the-ordinary structure of this cardi by Rebecca Taylor - this original color is really not me, but maybe in black, or really dark grey / brown.. Let's see!



And finally, this scarfe by Sandi Prosser - would make a good wintery neck-wear for both girls and boys, so let's see....

Stash, here I come!

No comments: